Letter to Heidi

Dear Heidi,

Even though it has been 18 years since you last spoke to me in person, I want you to know that you have been speaking to me so often without even being here.
Remember that time I was scared and almost didn't get in the kayak but you coaxed me into the boat and the ride of my life?  Or that time I wondered if I wanted to have a child and you reminded me that I'll never get another chance to make this decision? And that time when I wasn't sure if I liked dogs and ended up getting three? Or the time when I hugged a stranger and cried and let my emotions show? Remember that time I felt stupid doing a team building activity and you said to just let go? That day when I had to decide to take the job in IPS teaching the "tough" kids?  And every time I run or push myself physically and think about how fortunate it is that I can do this?  Or when I dream of heaven and wonder if you will know me and what we will talk about then?
I haven't laid eyes on you in the same amount of time, yet you are everywhere I look.
I see you old farmhouses that need to be torn down.  I see you in abandoned kittens and turtles who are trying to cross the road.  I see you in every Plymouth Horizon or Dodge Omni that still is on the road.  I see you in my son's eyes and laughter.  I see you in the South Putnam gym, where we spent a lot of time.  I see you in sunflowers and fields of wheat.  I see you in chickens and goats that roam around people's farms.  I see you in the lives of the young women I've been blessed to coach and teach.
Would I have listened as carefully if you were here physically, telling me what you thought?  Would I have noticed the parts of this world that you took the time to explore?  Likely not....
Thanks for being here.  I can't imagine what life would be like without you having been in it, because you still make your presence known.
Love you always and miss your hugs,
Leah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 months of embracing the unknown

What people whose sibling has died will understand...

What you give up when you become a parent